[talk-ph] Quarterly Mapping Parties (was: Re: Looking forward to OSM-PH in 2010

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 14:59:01 GMT 2010

For the first quarter Mapping Party, let's set it for March 20, Saturday (or
21, Sunday). This is an arbitrary selection more than a month into the
future and far from long weekends. Hopefully most people don't have plans
for that weekend yet. If you don't have plans on that weekend yet, block it
off for OSM! :-)

As for where, let's make it simple and do a Metro Manila spot. We can plan
the out-of-town Mapping Party in either the 2nd, 3rd or 4th quarter.

Here are the three currently suggested activities for Metro Manila <
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Philippines/Mapping_Party>:

   - POI mapping in Marikina - Maning: Most of the roads are completely
   mapped (I know because I did it :)). However, POIs are sparse (not my type
   of mapping). Most POIs are located along the strip of commercial spaces
   along primary and secondary roads. A one or two-day POI mapping can greatly
   improve coverage by adding numerous amenities and shops. This can be mapped
   either on foot, bike or car using gps, photo-mapping or walking papers. I am
   (maning) willing to coordinate this event.

   - Chinatown in Manila - perfect for adding POIs, lots of interesting
   shops and novelty stores around Binondo, Quiapo and Divisoria.

   - Barangay scavenger hunt in Malate, Ermita, and Intramuros in Manila -
   Go around these three districts collecting the boundaries of each barangay,
   location of their barangay halls, and their zone number (POIs and road
   verifying is incidental). This would entail talking to tons of barangay
   officials so OSM-PH, Inc. should have been established already (maybe). This
   proposal is in the case no acceptable data can be obtained from the Manila
   City Hall.

Any other ideas?

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com