[talk-ph] City in well city names

Totor totor_osm at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 13:57:02 GMT 2010

Hi everybody

I put back the City in some city names in cebu :
Mandaue City,
Lapu-Lapu City
and
Danao City

They were removed some time ago, and while it makes sense
(unlike Cebu City, there is no Mandaue island or province...),
the road signs indicate Mandaue City and Lapu-Lapu City.

The address of the company I work also shows Lapu-Lapu City.

These websites also mention the "City" in the name :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Cebu
http://www.mandauecity.gov.ph/
http://www.cebu.gov.ph/
and even : http://openstreetmap.org.ph/viewall.php !!!

I was not able to find anything regarding this in the wiki.
Probably because European names/road signs usually don't include city (as far as I know)

What is your opinion ?
Should we ignore the City in most of the names or add it to all?
Should we add City as stated on the road signs only?
Is there an official name list ? (I never heard of Manila City :)
How about Carcar, Naga, Toledo, Bogo and Talisay ?

Happy mapping.

Totor