[talk-ph] Boundaries covered by high-res imagery

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 01:56:31 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo Ltd.
<raw at develo.ltd.uk> wrote:
> Absolutely, there are still roads to be traced here.

The imagery we have at the moment are from Yahoo!  and they allowed
OSM to use them.

> Do we have a time limit on the use of these images?
AFAIK, there isn't even a formal agreement with Yahoo! so there is no
guarantee on the time limit.  But given the past experience,  and the
momentum of OSM, I don't think they will "take it back" in the near
future.

> Also, what is the reason for the limited area?
It's what Yahoo! have so we have to make do with that (Google has
better imagery).

BUT, we can add more if we have the resources similar to our
Pangasinan experience:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?minlon=120.331&minlat=15.9464&maxlon=120.602&maxlat=16.2202&box=yes

The data we are adding (remotely) is crazy the past 2 months!

This made me realize that import of high-res imagery seems to be
better than just importing vector data (although we also welcome
this).  With high-res imagery we can get more contributors in other
areas.  GPS collection is still too techie for most people.

I am planning to coordinate more on this front this  year.  If you
have ideas where we can get imagery donation, just give us a call.