[talk-ph] changes of road types

Totor totor_osm at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 23 07:35:45 GMT 2010

Hi everybody,

I use a similar approach to Eugene.

Smallest roads = unclassified if industrial or with few houses, residential if the area is, well, residential...

Biggest roads and main links crossing the city = primary

The others secondary or tertiairy.

Trunc roads should be reserved for motorways with separated lanes without intersections/traffic lights in my opinion.

I use service roads inside parking lots or private terrains.

I mix this occasionnaly with a traffic based approach, downgrading primary roads or upgrading lower classes because of traffic importance.

Examples:

If road classification is based on size and road condition only, countryside roads should be tracks only. But in Palawan I tagged the often unpaved road from PP to El Nido as primary (but with sections marked as unpaved)....
http://osm.org/go/4nXgnt--
Printed maps also show this as main roads, and not as dirt tracks.

If road classification is based on traffic importance, N Escario street in Cebu should be primary (there is nearly as many traffic on this shortcut as on Reyes avenue)
Based on road size,one section of N Escario is a narrow unclassified road. Worse, it has a one way section, where the neighbouring residential roads handle all the traffic (jams) in the opposite direction.
I mapped it as secondary, since there were already some roads with that class. But now a unclassified road with heavy traffic, has the same importance on the map, as the often nearly empty 2x3 lanes around the Ayala mall.
I'll probably revisit the area, and downgrade it to tertiairy one of these days.
http://osm.org/go/4tRG27AiN-

A good thing this is discussed, clear rules and examples are needed, specially for beginners.

Regards,

Totor