[talk-ph] AOL's Mapquest now has an OSM-based site

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 20:18:22 BST 2010

As announced at the State of the Map conference, AOL's Mapquest is now the
first major online map site to adopt OpenStreetMap.

Check out the site: http://open.mapquest.co.uk/

Here's the PR:
http://corp.aol.com/2010/07/09/mapquest-opens-up-in-europe-with-open-source-mapping-with-uk-l/
Here's the blog post: http://blog.mapquest.com/2010/07/09/mapquest-opens-up/
Here's the development blog post:
http://devblog.mapquest.com/2010/07/09/mapquest-opens-up-uk/

This site is mainly geared towards the UK, but has map rendering for the
entire world. See Metro Manila:
http://open.mapquest.co.uk/mq/5-OIAmuNcMDWoD_A14t65N
The cartography is gorgeous! I would recommend Mapquest's tiles for general
purpose maps than OSM's default Mapnik layer, which tends to show
everything.

In addition, AOL-Mapquest will invest $1,000,000 to improve the OSM data in
the US. (Can we have $1,000 for the Philippines? :-D)

I found it interesting that Mapquest actually badgered (with financial
incentives) the developers of Mapnik (the rendering software) and Nominatim
(the search engine and geocoder) to add improvements to those software.