[talk-ph] Uploading my GPX Tracks from my Phone Directly?

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 11:19:10 GMT 2010

On 01/-10/-28163 08:59 PM, Ray wrote:
> Andre Marcelo-Tanner wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a java or Blackberry app that can upload my tracks
>> straight to OSM. I can't find time to map at home but when I'm out I
>> sure could track my travels and input POI's (mapzen for iphone). Meron
>> kya ng pang upload ng tracks direct from my phone to OSM?
>>
>> Anyone used something like that before?
>>
>> I know I can transfer to my pc and then upload pero hassle yun :) tska
>> convenient yung straight from phone.
>
> GpsMid <http://gpsmid.sourceforge.net/> is j2me and has some support for
> online OSM editing but no gpx upload (yet?). Havn't tried it out yet.

GpsMid does also supports uploading of gpx directly to the OSM servers.
It isn't one of the better known, or tested features of GpsMid, so your
millage may unfortunately vary and some phones are known to send http
that isn't accepted by the main OSM servers, but in general it should
work and has worked for me.

To activate it, you can go into the Export settings and choose to export
it directly to the OSM server instead of via bluetooth or to the
filesystem of the phone.

For this to work, you will need a build of GpsMid that has the online
features enabled though, which the prebuild maps haven't, as GpsMid is
otherwise completely offline to make sure you don't incur any network
data charges that can still be very high in some countries.

It is very easy to do that though with Osm2GpsMid.

Simple adding of new POIs and correcting tags on existing ways is also
supported by GpsMid, and works reasonably well for me, although it isn't
as graphically nice as the mapzen's iPhone editior.

Kai