[talk-ph] Planning trip need refresher course on mkgmap and merkaartor (was Re: talk-ph post from linuxbastard at paglalakbay.com requires approval)

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 03:39:04 BST 2010

>    Reason:  Message body is too big: 278857 bytes with a limit of 40 KB
We don't allow attachments in the mailinglist, Please limit the size
of your message.  I will answer anyway. :)

The output file should be several imgs (overview map, index, etc.).
All these files should be integrated into a single gmapsupp.img.  Add
the gmapsupp switch in your syntax.

mkgmap-r1624$ java -ea -jar mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp map.osm

--gmapsupp
	Write a gmapsupp.img file that can be uploaded to a Garmin or
	placed in "/Garmin" in a microSD card (such as by mounting the
	device in USB mass storage mode).
	TODO: explain if this is in addition to or instead of the
	per-input files.

> So instead of merkaartor I go to OSM and export a map, but I can't get an area big enough to cover my trip.
That is correct, you can't big areas for osm data via the Export tab
in the main site.

> I think I'm missing a style file which I can't seem to find and it seems I'm not exporting my data from merkaartor correctly?

You can get the style file for osm-ph garmin map via the trac/svn.
Instructions on accessing the site is here:
http://esambale.wikispaces.com/osmphil_garmin

> I think exporting from OSM directly saved me a lot of time but how do I get OSM to export as big as I need, like from marikina to enfanta, or say the whole of luzon or the Philippines? ;)

The daily Philippine extract is here:
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/asia/philippines.osm.bz2

Good luck!  I'm happy other people are doing the garmin map conversion
as well.  If you can find other improvements we can of course
integrate them in the regular map update.