[talk-ph] GPS-Trusting Tourists Rescued From Australian Forest

Michael Cole colemichae at gmail.com
Tue May 11 10:05:37 BST 2010

On Tuesday 11 May 2010 4:04:02 pm Jim Morgan wrote:
> Carlos Tirona wrote, On Tuesday, 11 May, 2010 03:52 PM:
> > Three South Korean tourists whose trust in their Ford Falcon’s GPS got
> > them stuck in a gully in southeast Queensland’s Cordalba State Forest,
> > near Childers.
> >
> :-) Shortest Distance routing perhaps? I'm sure there must be a 'Pick
> : another route' button.

This happens so often in Australia, a Highway in someplaces maybe a dirt
track.

Roads that traverse the country may not be up to International or Australian
Standards but the real Aussie knows that before they head off.

Never expect the road to be there when you arrive and never expect it to be
usable.. always plan for diversions if needed.

Shortest route technology is worse in the UK they get Trucks Stuck down
country lanes where they need to extract the trucks with cranes..

http://www.switched.com/2009/02/27/gps-leads-truck-to-impassable-road-for-5-
days/

But then again the police directed a similar truck into a no go street in
cornwall so people and GPS need to think twice..