[talk-ph] Bacolod is still a big problem

Craig nuclearmoose at gmail.com
Sun May 16 05:09:22 BST 2010

Maybe there is something fundamental that I don't get, but, let me ask a
question, please. How is it possible that a location of a road or building
or anything can be copyrighted? I understand not copying entire maps, etc.,
from a source and then claiming it as your own is contrary to copyright, but
"facts", and a road location is a fact, not something created from someone's
imagination.

Google itself allows businesses to use tools to correct the location of that
business if it is in error on Google's maps. Nobody is copying and
distributing Google satellite images, nor are they distributing other Google
properties.

I think this worry about copyright violations is a knee-jerk reaction and
would not stand up in a court of law. Big companies with big law firms
backing them up is very intimidating, but that doesn't change the fact that
you should be able to refer to a Google map or image to confirm a road
location or other geographical entity. I see this as fair use.

Also, thousands of people around the world have contributed to mapping for
Google through efforts around the Haiti and Chile earthquakes. I'd say
copyright is a bit dicey in that situation because Google only facilitated
the mapping. Also, thousands upon thousands of buildings have been placed in
Google Earth, thanks only to users like us. Myself, I have contributed
mapping and 3D buildings.

Is OSM open to the world? If it is, then Google can use OSM data. If Google
sued OSM for improving maps using "Google's data" only to integrate that
into their own products, that would be major hypocrisy.

I'm sick of corporations creating this atmosphere of "we're going to sue
your asses off" at the drop of a hat. It's a sad thing, and well-minded
people like those contributing to a better world via OSM and other similar
projects should not have the spectre of litigation hanging over their heads.

Take care, all.
Craig.
Anyway, I'm not here to argue a point or start a flame war.