[talk-ph] Typhoon forecast over Northern Luzon

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 13:00:48 BST 2010

Dear Jean-Guilhem,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Jean-Guilhem Cailton <jgc at arkemie.com> wrote:
> Hi Maning,
>
> I've let Jean-François Faudi, of Spot Image, know that you and Mikel have
> echoed my request for imagery.
>
> And also about your activation request for OSM, and the wiki page.
>
> But I've also seen that SPOTMaps don't seem to be available "off the shelf"
> for the Philippines, on
> http://www.spot.com/web/SICORP/1535-sicorp-spotmaps.php

Yes, they don't have SpotMaps coverage in the Philippines.  But other
Spot products is useful than the existing yahoo/landsat we have at the
moment

> From experience with Pakistan floods, a shapefile showing the most affected
> areas could be useful.
>

> Also regarding existing OSM-compatible maps, whatever is available would
> likely be useful. I've seen that the Perry-Castaneda maps library has 1:250
> 000 maps from the US Army Map Service, Corps of Engineers, from the 1950s
> (http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/philippines/), but the 1:50 000 NAMRIA
> maps that I've seen mentioned are likely more useful. Maybe they could be
> georeferenced and setup as WMS/TMS to be used as background for JOSM,
> Potlatch and Merkaartor.

I don't think the 1:250K is useful these days.  A lot has change in
the area (since 1950's).  Plus we had a lot more problems using the
1:250K.
The 1:50k is also old but more useful than the 1:250K.

To all Philippine based mappers, Keep safe.
 (The winds in Metro Manila are strong considering the Typhoon signal
is just "1".  What more for the "4" areas.)