[talk-ph] [Fwd: [Fwd: [OpenStreetMap] Re: Re: Re: NGA-GNS uploads]]

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 17:14:06 BST 2010

This is a pretty tough issue. Imports are contentious in some sectors of the
international OSM community. But for the Philippines where we don't have
much data to import anyway, the question boils down to whether we prefer no
data at all over poor data.

GNS in particular seems to be problematic with entities below the municipal
level as demonstrated by Ax.

I think that we should hold off on importing them for now. Maybe in the
future that data will be improved. In the meantime, there are tons of things
we can do to improve the existing data. Keep right and OpenStreetBugs
provide tons of data problems alone, and there are some residual sawtooth
coastlines remaining.

I know data maintenance and improvement is not as fun as importing virgin
data but my personal opinion is that we should try fixing the existing data
first before adding more data that themselves needs fixing too.

What do others think?

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Anthony G. Balico <anthony.balico at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Axk and I had a bit of a discussion on GNS.  Your thoughts please?
>
> I find the thread below so cluttered, im sure you'll also find it the
> same way.  Sorry about that.
>
> I just thought i should include my first reply so you would know the
> start.  This is how it goes:

[conversation snipped]