[talk-ph] Ultimate mapping challenge: marking the Station Balanacan in OSM

Jim Morgan jim at datalude.com
Fri Aug 12 09:54:10 BST 2011

maning sambale wrote, On Friday, 12 August, 2011 04:12 PM:
> My handheld GPS is off by 6.92 meters from the published PRS92 coordinates.

That reminded me, I was walking down the street the other day in Makati, and I came across a manhole cover. It had a detailed GPS co-ordinate engraved on it.
	http://dl.dropbox.com/u/274900/DSC00341.JPG

The co-ordinates were accurate down to 1/100th of a second, which seems quite precise (one second is around 28 metres at this latitude). I was wondering if this is common to all areas / cities, and if so, can we use it for something - aligning or verifying roads.

Also ... maybe roadworks departments have records of these that they'd be prepared to release?

Jim

--

   datalude: information security
   e: jim at datalude.com
   Philippines: +63 2 403 1311 / mob: +63 917 849 3939
   Hong Kong: +852 6840 6693
   w: http://www.datalude.com/