[talk-ph] Be careful in tracing from Bing Maps

Rally de Leon ralleon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 05:47:15 GMT 2011

Hi Jim,
It is possible to do this on the "latest" JOSM. I was also surprised
(and very happy) to discover this powerful new feature on JOSM.
Because I used to manually enter 'numeric values' for offset
corrections (Northings/Eastings), and It's a long trial & error
process to get the best-fit; now it's just click & drag. very nice.

And the other thing I love (on josm) is that you can 'bookmark' a lot
of these offset values per working area. Note: (from experience), the
offset correction is normally good only within 300-500 meter radius
(from the center of your good reference area); after which, the
imagery tends to shift slightly. Thus, to maintain good & tight
alignments between uploaded gps traces & osm data, you have to
recalibrate (offset) every half kilometer or so... in which case,
bookmarking offsets can make your life a lot easier. :-)

Rally