[talk-ph] Be careful in tracing from Bing Maps

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 07:26:24 GMT 2011

I checked the existing coverage of gps traces within bing areas. Aside
from Jolo and Sanga-sanga all of them have GPS tracks we can calibrate
the imagery.  See josm shots here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/esambale/sets/72157625812711648/with/5350890259/

A few observations while eye-balling the images:
- Cavite, Laguna, Batangas area have extensive traces, I think it  is
sufficient for calibration/adjustment
-  same goes for Iloilo and Cebu
- Puerto princesa has good coverage on some grid like streets,
however, I'm not sure if these are multiple traces. Is there a Palawan
mapper here?
- very few traces in Tacloban but there is a grid-like trace in
Tanauan (center of the image)
- Cagayan de Oro has very few traces. I added my personal trace (using
2 separate GPS units) along the trunk road.  So far, it lined up
pretty well.
- Puerto galera's major roads are traced, however, the roads are too
curvy.  Unless it is a multiple trace I don't think we should
calibrate the image.
- For all other areas, the traces are very few.

@ Rally, is there a way to share the offset bookmark in JOSM?  I
suspect this is just a config line within the .preferences file of
JOSM.  It would be good if we can share the bookmark to other josmers.