[talk-ph] Mapping Suggestion: Add details/amenities to gas stations

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 07:32:41 BST 2011

Hi guys,

Here's another mapping suggestion: add details/amenities to gas
stations (amenity=fuel[1]). Of course we should map co-located
restaurants or shops within gas stations but we should also map the
attached convenience stores (shop=convenience[2]) like Shell Select,
7-Eleven/Caltex Mini Mart, Petron Treats, and Total's Cafe Bonjour.
Add opening_hours=24/7 if the convenience store is open 24/7. And if
the gas station has a public CR, add a toilet node
(amenity=toilets[3]). This is important since not all gas stations
(especially in the provinces) have convenience stores or toilets and
these are things that motorist would want to know. If there is an
available satellite image, you should mark the whole lot of the gas
station as a closed polygon and add the tag landuse=retail.

As an example, here's Shell along the southbound side of Macapagal
Blvd: http://osm.org/go/4zhExjoQh--

Aside from the Yellow Cab store there (which is open 24/7 so it has a
tag opening_hours=24/7), the CR and the Shell Select store were added
as nodes.

The Shell station itself[4] is a polygon with the following tags:
  addr:city=Parañaque
  addr:street=Pres. Diosdado Macapagal Boulevard
  amenity=fuel
  landuse=retail
  name=Shell
  opening_hours=24/7

And the tags for the Shell Select node[5] are the following:
  addr:city=Parañaque
  addr:street=Pres. Diosdado Macapagal Boulevard
  name=Shell Select
  opening_hours=24/7
  shop=convenience

Happy Mapping!