[talk-ph] Mapping Suggestion: Add details/amenities to gas stations

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 18:08:06 BST 2011

> 1. Is it necessary to add leisure=retail?

Not mandatory. It's just a suggestion. An amenity=fuel tag alone does
not render any polygons in the main Mapnik style so a landuse=retail
makes the gas station's location more visible.

> 2. Is it OK to just put the addr:* tags to the amenity=fuel polygon
> instead of both the shop=convenience and amenity=fuel?

Well, there isn't any fixed convention on when and where to add
addr:*=* tags but I add them just the same to the shop=convenience
node so that they become more searchable using Rally's proposed
workaround for the Garmin map. This is especially true for 7-Eleven's
since 7-Eleven is just a partner establishment to Caltex and not under
Caltex management. For Petron Treat, Shell Select, and others, I guess
only putting the addr:*=* tag on the amenity=fuel object is OK.