[talk-ph] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Announce: Beginning of Phase 4 of license change process

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 12:33:50 BST 2011

FYI.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz>
Date: Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:33 AM
Subject: [OSM-talk] Announce: Beginning of Phase 4 of license change process
To: OSM talk <talk at openstreetmap.org>

As per the implementation plan [1], we intend to move to phase 4 this
Sunday 19th June or as soon after as is technically practical. This
will mean that anyone who has explicitly declined the new contributor
terms will no longer be able to edit, (unless they  decide to accept).
 This currently numbers 406 in total compared to over 191,000 who now
contribute under the new terms. They or our forking folks may wish to
grab a planet dump now and another one just before the phase 5
cut-over to ODbL. Planet dumps are generally made every Wednesday as
of 11:01 UK time and become available 3 days later. Next week's
version will probably be made on Tuesday due to the coming UCL
shutdown.

I would emphasise there is currently no need to remove data from the
live database since the license is still CC-BY-SA. I believe there is
no urgency to do so until acceptances have been maximised, local
issues that have a near term solution have been addressed and there is
a sense of community consensus that it is time. The License Working
Group will continue listening to all feedback.

Regards,
Mike
License Working Group

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License/Implementation_Plan