[talk-ph] http://www.protectedplanet.net/

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue May 24 02:11:14 BST 2011

Based on experience, IUCN and UNEP-WCMC do not create their own data.
They get data from several sources which has a very strict agreement
not to use for commercial purposes.  I have the hunch that the the
Sierra Madre data I imported and the data in the protectedplanet came
from the same source.  The source I use has a "No Restrictions of Use"
clause.

The problem here is  the aggregation of data used by IUCN and
UNEP-WCMC.  Of course you can still ask, I did before, but I got the
above response.  Maybe they changed their policy in the light of open
data and transparency UN is under going these days.