[talk-ph] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Installing your own tileserver on Ubuntu

Jim Morgan jim at datalude.com
Mon Oct 10 13:03:06 BST 2011

This sounded so good, I thought I'd give it a go this afternoon. However the commands given as typed in the email don't work. I'd recommend reading the long version at the wiki page he references later on: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ubuntu_tile_server

Specifically I found these problems:

- After adding the repository, you need to do an 'apt-get update' before the next step.

- Very IMPORTANT. He doesn't mention the configuration step after installing libapache2-mod-tile. According to the wiki you need to "add your own username after www-data in order to import data". As I didn't do this, the renderer did not work. I've also spent about two hours trying to re-configure this setting, and can't find out how to do it. So, yes, read the wiki first.

- The osm2pgsql misses out the --slim command line element. I also found that I needed to reduce the memory usage, having only 1Gb in my laptop. The --verbose helped as well. so:
	osm2pgsql --slim --cache 300 --verbose philippines.osm.pbm

So what could have been a five minute wonder install has now turned into a three hour marathon for me due to bad instructions. Read the wiki.

Jim