[talk-ph] Mapping for damage assessment (Re: [HOT] post-typhoon pablo/bopha imagery from atrium/unosat)

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 05:55:51 GMT 2012

Dear Boris and everyone,

Mapping storm damage is great but before we do that, I would like to
raise this concern for discussion with HOT.  I am apprehensive towards
mapping damages for the following reasons:

1. No request (at the moment) from any ground responders on mapping
this kind of data.
2. Other agencies are already doing this [0].
3. Most of the areas we respond to have limited locally-based mappers.
 Thus, it is difficult in the future to maintain, update and remove
stale information in the db.

In my view, OSM should strive to provide the most up to date basemap
that will support ground responders.  Of course, this is all dependent
on specific areas and specific humanitarian concerns.

So, my general question in the list is:  Should we use OSM as a
platform for mapping hazards and damages during a crisis?

This is a very attractive option because of the numerous tools that
exist within the OSM ecosystem but I fear maintenance of the data
would be a big concern in the future.

[0] http://sertit.u-strasbg.fr/SITE_RMS/2012/09_rms_Philippines_2012/09_rms_Philippines_2012.html