[talk-ph] Node density visualization

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 10:59:26 BST 2012


<<Oops. Fixed a link>>

Hi guys,

Here's a mid-year follow-up to the node density visualization.

Here's the density increase from the last time (June 3) to July 1:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/5/52/Philippines_node_density_increase_from_2012-06-03_to_2012-07-01.png

The new Bing imagery in June has resulted in increased data in
Catanduanes, Metro Naga, Antique, Dumaguete, Butuan, and Tagbilaran.
The new Orbview-3 imagery on the other hand resulted in increased data
in Palawan, Romblon, and Antique.


Here's the density increase from the start of the year to July 1:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/3/36/Philippines_node_density_increase_from_2012-01-02_to_2012-07-01.png

And here's the node density map itself as of July 1:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/8/80/Philippines_node_density_2012-07-01.png

Compare to the one from the start of the year:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/8/81/Philippines_node_density_2012-01-02.png

Eugene


On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Here's a mid-year follow-up to the node density visualization.
>
> Here's the density increase from the last time (June 3) to July 1:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/5/52/Philippines_node_density_increase_from_2012-06-03_to_2012-07-01.png
>
> The new Bing imagery in June has resulted in increased data in
> Catanduanes, Metro Naga, Antique, Dumaguete, Butuan, and Tagbilaran.
> The new Orbview-3 imagery on the other hand resulted in increased data
> in Palawan, Romblon, and Antique.
>
>
> Here's the density increase from the start of the year to July 1:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/5/56/Philippines_node_density_increase_from_2012-01-02_to_2012-07-01.png
>
> And here's the node density map itself as of July 1:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/8/80/Philippines_node_density_2012-07-01.png
>
> Compare to the one from the start of the year:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/8/81/Philippines_node_density_2012-01-02.png
>
> Eugene
>
>
> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I made a follow-up to the node density visualization I shared back in
>> March. This time, the map shows the node increase compared to the data
>> of the original map. Similar to before, brighter pixels represent
>> areas with higher node count increases. Gray pixels show the original
>> data as a baseline.
>>
>> You can view it here:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/5/56/Philippines_node_density_increase_from_2012-01-02_to_2012-06-03.png
>>
>> For comparison here's the original map:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/8/81/Philippines_node_density_2012-01-02.png
>>
>> Take note that this is not a map of editing activity! It only merely
>> shows node density increases. (So if someone deleted a node in an area
>> and another one created a node, there will be no change in the node
>> counts.) But this visualization does somewhat indicate where new data
>> is being added.
>>
>> It's nice to see that most parts of the Philippines have seen an
>> increase in data. You can see the obvious effect of the new Bing
>> imagery that was released back in February as bright rectangular
>> areas.
>>
>> Nice work everyone! Let's keep it up! :-)
>>
>> Eugene
>>
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Correction, that should be 0.01°, not 0.1°. :-)
>>>
>>> On 2/25/12, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hi guys,
>>>>
>>>> I created a visualization showing the node density of OSM data in the
>>>> Philippines taken from the 2012-01-02 Geofabrik extract. Each pixel
>>>> represents a 0.1°×0.1° degree square or approximately 1 square
>>>> kilometer. Brighter pixels represent areas with higher node counts.
>>>>
>>>> View it here:
>>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/8/81/Philippines_node_density_2012-01-02.png
>>>>
>>>> The edges of available satellite imagery at that time is quite visible
>>>> in some areas like Pangasinan, Cebu, Bukidnon, and Davao del Sur. As
>>>> expected, brighter areas are places where there is a large amount of
>>>> editing and with a large population.
>>>>
>>>> By the way, can you guess which place has the densest concentration of
>>>> nodes (the only purely white pixel in the image)? It's in Naga City
>>>> and this is due to the Naga City import. The second densest location
>>>> is in Marikina, and this is thanks to maning's efforts in mapping all
>>>> of the buildings in his adopted city. :-)
>>>>
>>>> Eugene
>
>
>
> --
> http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com



-- 
http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com



More information about the talk-ph mailing list