[talk-ph] Planned import: 7-Eleven Branch data

Rally de Leon ralleon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 15:25:36 BST 2012

(I think this was asked before already)

In case the import pushes through, what tag should osmph formally
adapt for the branch name for those chain-establishments, "branch" or
"name:branch"?
(eg. Banks, Pharmacies, Fastfood Chains, 24/7 Convenience Stores, Gas
Stations, Utility Companies)

I think an issue was raised before, that tag "branch" was already in
use somewhere in Europe to refer to a "transportation line/route" or
something (can't remember). I don't know if it was adapted or dropped.
So to prevent future conflict, I already used "name:branch" in some of
my edits.

Although I'm in favor of plain "branch" since it's easier to type, but
we should make a formal proposal/inquiry with the other communities
(especially if we have a substantial number of establishment-branches
in PH to tag)

Regarding "ref="  for use in connection with 7-Eleven branches, you'll
notice that the banks also uses branch codes. I would love to have
this info on osm if allowed (since it may be internal info to the
bank). Sometimes, it can be useful when tracking your payments if
somebody ask you to deposit an amount to a particular bank, given only
an account number and a name. Some branch-name tend to be very long
(eg. Taytay-Manila East Road), compared to a branch code which is
normally a 3 or 4 digit numeric. who knows if someday, somebody can
find useful search apps for this.

But I'm more inclined to use another tag (other than "ref") since it's
already used on "highway" (although it's a line, not a node). Can this
complicate things when filtering info for existing mobile apps (eg.
unpredictable rendering)? what if we just use "branch_code" or
"branch:code" (more specific, but longer to type). some may say it has
no practical use to majority of the map users, but so is the ICAO (4
letter alphanumeric code for airports) :-)

+1 for branch name and +1 for branch codes for all chain establishments

I suggest we ask permission from these companies (for the masterlist &
its periodic updates). It is in their best interest that all their
branches become searchable via internet, particularly when mobile
using osm maps.