[talk-ph] SOTM 2012 videos and slides

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 11:27:34 BST 2012

Dear everyone,

The slides and videos of SOTM2012 in Tokyo are now available in the wiki [0].

I recommend you watch Ikiya and Hameed's presentation on the very
personal mapping stories they shared [1].
 - Hameed is mapping Afghanistan and sometimes encounter IEDs along the way.
 - Ikiya is from Fukushima where he did mapping before and after the
quake and tsunami.  A good review of Ikiya's presentation by Alyssa is
available in OpenGeo's blog [2].

There is also a funny and amusing talk by Tim Waters on OSM Addiction
[3] which I'm sure some of you can relate to.

The majority of the talks centered on the use of OSM in disaster and
routing but what I like the most are the personal mapping stories.
Personally, I had some amusing encounters during mapping (like being
chased by 5 angry dogs, hiding my GPS to avoid the scrutiny of
military checkpoints, being questioned by local "tambays" when taking
geo-tag photos because they suspected me as an election officer
documenting election poster violations during the campaign period)
but nothing like encountering IEDs or exposure to nuclear radiation.

[0] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_2012
[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_2012/Thursday
[2] http://blog.opengeo.org/2012/09/18/state-of-the-map-2012-tokyo/
[3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_2012/Saturday