[talk-ph] Land area of the Philippines

Jim Morgan jim at datalude.com
Thu Apr 25 02:59:03 UTC 2013

tutubi wrote, On Thursday, 25 April, 2013 09:58 AM:
> land area may vary, depends whether it was measured during high tide or low tide too

I was about to make the same joke! But then I did a quick back-of-an-envelope calculation and found out it wouldn't actually make that much difference:

Let's assume the Philippines is a rectangle, 300km x 1000km. And lets assume that the tide going from "in" to "out" exposes an average of 10m of extra beach. So now our rectangle is 300.02 x 1000.02, which is only an extra 26 km2 of area.

OK, so its obviously not the correct figure, but I think it gives something of the right magnitude. :-)

Jim

--

   datalude: information security
   e: jim at datalude.com
   Philippines: +63 2 403 1311 / mob: +63 917 849 3939
   Hong Kong: +852 5125 3392
   w: http://www.datalude.com/