[talk-ph] How can ESSC work more with the OSM-PH community

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 11:10:14 GMT 2013

Dear everyone,

My institute the Environmental Science for Social Change
(http://www.essc.org.ph/) is using OSM data and tools more and more.
We are benefiting immensely from the tremendous volunteer work of this
community.  Not only do we use some of the data but also the tools and
technology that is being developed within the community.  In some
ways, we are giving back to the community in the form of data (i.e.
correcting OSM data whenever we do fieldwork); spreading the OSM love
within our partner organizations (through short OSM workshops [1])
and; our office space as a venue for events (i.e. presentation of OSM
during  OSGeo-PH meeting [1] and Garmin map discussions [2]).

This year, we want to engage with the community more.  We have limited
resources but we are willing to offer assistance in any we can.  I'm
writing here to discuss how can we be of assistance with the OSM-PH
community.  Beyond myself, we want our Institute to be an active
participant in building the best free map of the country.

Ideas welcome.

[0] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:OSM_South_Cotabato_LGUs_Workshop.jpg
[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Philippines/Chapter_Meeting_2011-12-03
[2] http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com/posts/2011_osm_ph_review