[talk-ph] GPS review on etrex 30 and 62sc

Carlo Antonio Romero carlo.romero at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 08:58:21 UTC 2013

Hi Maning,

I have a two week old etrex 20 and a Legend hcx. I know you were asking for
the 30, but the only difference is the absence of the atmospheric barometer
[1], magnetic compass, and the ability to connect to Ant+ devices.

the 20 was a clear winner for me since it was cheaper and the extra
features of the 30 wont be hugely missed for mapping.

Here's a good review of the 20 [0] but the reviewers firmware was 2.2. I
havent checked if the bugs have been resolved in 3.0, but i share most of
his experience with the device

the hcx reports a better accuracy against the 20 (gps+glonass) with a good
view of the sky. however, the 20 is only slightly affected when there are
tall buildings on one side of the road. on streets with tall buildings, the
20 shows slightly more drift than the hcx. having said all this, i feel the
20 reports a more conservative accuracy and is a bit more transparent with
errors in logging tracks.

A colleague has a 62 (not sure which model) and he just agreed to lend me
his unit next week. :) if you'd want some comparisons between the hcx, 20,
and 62, let me know your questions.

[0]
http://www.amazon.com/review/R3RAKYFG6DOERN/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00542NVS2&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=
[1] http://regex.info/blog/2006-04-16/179