[talk-ph] Planned event for mega armchair mapping of Metro Manila and surrounding towns

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 11:31:20 UTC 2013

Dear everyone,

A research lab in Tokyo University in partnership with Georepublic is
doing a research project on transport routing for selected mega-cities
in South East Asia.
Using open source and open data (OSM), they are doing person trip
calculations and routing between districts or other small spatial
units.

As part of their research, they want to involve the respective OSM
communities in updating and improving the road network within these
megacities.
The coverage for the Philippines is Metro Manila including the
adjacent towns/cities of Rizal, Laguna, Cavite and Bulacan.

Initial priority is to reach a degree of "completeness" for the road
network.  The group is proposing a series of armchair mapping events
for this.

Rough plan are as follows:
- Organize a 2-day armchair mapping event in Metro Manila to trace
missing roads and improve "routability" of roads. Initially, turn
restrictions are not a priority
but we can decide if we want to add them including other features to
enhance the coverage.
- A parallel event in Japan will be hosted (using video a streaming or
other synchronous communication) so that Japanese mappers can also
help with the tracing.
- Food and other swags will be provided by TokyoUni and Georepublic.
- Date: end of March 2013, but still not final.

Sending this to the list to solicit feedback and other ideas on the
planned event.

Currently we are looking for volunteers to help in the preps (and join
the event) such as:
- scouting for venue
- swag designs (like t-shirt)
- planning and other logistical preps

First event will be Metro Manila but this will be replicated to other
cities/countries in the region.