[talk-ph] Typhoon Yolanda / Haiyan

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 00:37:38 UTC 2013

Hi Jean-Guilhem,

Currently, the typhoon is still too far off. The typhoon still has not yet
entered our country's meteorological area of responsibility so our weather
bureau (PAGASA) is not yet issuing any weather bulletins. In addition, we
still have no idea where the typhoon will make landfall—the possible area
is more than 1000 kilometers wide.

So I cannot say for certain which areas would need mapping help. However,
the province of Bohol, which was hit by by a magnitude 7.2 earthquake last
October 15 is still recovering. Wherever the typhoon will make landfall,
I'm sure Bohol will be affected. So I think concentrating on Bohol
currently is best. However, there has already been a HOT task to map the
affected area (southwestern Bohol) that has available satellite imagery[1]
so I'm not sure what else can be done remotely.

Maybe other people have ideas?

Regards,
Eugene

[1] http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/326