[talk-ph] Extending mapping to other areas and improving remote mappers contributions.

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Sat Nov 23 03:41:12 UTC 2013

Le 23/11/2013 04:03, maning sambale a écrit :
> Dear OSM-PH mappers,
>
> As you all know, the global response to map Yolanda/Haiyan affected
> areas is tremendous. So far, many of the tasks are fairly covered by volunteers
> worldwide.
>
> For the OSMPH mappers, I would like us to focus on the following tasks:
>
> 1. Maximize the use of DigitalGlobe imagery since it will expire in 30
> or less days.
> I created a task for this [0].
>
> As you can see the imagery coverage is well beyond the Typhoon
> affected areas.  We can use this to improve data for example in:
>   - New Bataan (Pablo 2012)
>   - Zamboanga City (post-MNLF crisis)
>   - Bohol (Earthquake, 2013)
>
> 2. Trace small islands along the typhoon path.  Many of these small
> islands may have people
> (check the imagery if there are evidence of settlements).  Let's put
> them in the map so that
> responders know they exist.

Dear OSM-PH mappers,

For example, buildings in Suluan, and Manicani Island, near the typhoon
path in Eastern Samar are only very partially mapped.

With a building filter, it is very easy to count the number of buildings
on a island traced in OSM, and from there estimate the population, to
compute how much aid is needed, for example.

By the way, if anyone is interested in joining us (working on this
mission: http://bit.ly/17Q0Ktn , with this workbook:
http://bit.ly/1aIL8LB ), please let Cédric (copied) or me know.

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem