[talk-ph] Increasing demand for OSM talks and workshops

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 08:31:26 UTC 2014

Dear everyone,

As you probably know OSM in the Philippines got a lot of media
coverage and exposure because of our response to Typhoon
Yolanda/Haiyan [0].  As result, there is tremendous interest in using
OSM data to supplement the limited geospatial data in many areas for
the recovery and rebuilding efforts by humanitarian agencies, aid
organizations and local government units.

The challenge we are facing now is how do we respond as the local OSM
group in the Philippines.  There are several requests for OSM talks,
training and workshops in several areas.  Some of us are trying to
respond to these requests, but people interested in doing talks and
workshops are very few.

I'm writing this message for us to discuss how do we expand the pool
of people who can and willing to do OSM workshops particularly for
areas in Visayas and Mindanao.  I understand that for most of us, we
just want to map and are not really comfortable with doing OSM talks
(that is completely OK).  But for people interested, let's discuss
here.  At the moment, request for OSM talks are:

- General OSM overview - mostly for people/groups who are just
interested to know what OSM is and how they can use the data
- OSM training/workshops - for people/groups who wants to be a
contributor or are interested in using OSM in specific domains and
wants to use OM technology in data collection

If you or your org is interested in doing this, how can we collaborate?

What materials do you need? For our ESSC project, we used mostly learnosm.org

Do you need a specific training module? Perhaps we can design one like:
 - OSM for LGUs
 - OSM for NGOs
 - OSM for DRR
 - OSM for whatever

Do you need equipment?  We have a few GPS under the GPStoGO program
[1] you can use, maybe we can ask for more units which you can use
during trainings.

Do you need some sort of trainor's training? Maybe we can organize
workshops like that.

Any other ideas?

My personal goal, is that whenever I get an email for an OSM
invitation, I can direct the invitation to other OSM-PH volunteers
particularly in areas out of my biking distance. ;)

[0] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Typhoon_Haiyan
[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Philippines/GPStogo_program