[talk-ph] Increasing demand for OSM talks and workshops

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Fri Jan 31 05:26:12 UTC 2014

Hi All,

We have faced similar challenged in Indonesia. Typically with our
trainings someone runs the powerpoint and talks at the front but then
we have other trainers around the trainees looking for problems and
providing help. There are also times we break into small groups. The
small groups can sometimes be limited by the lack of a way to show
everyone the instructors screen though. Typically we try to use two
projectors (I know a luxury) one shows the slides on the topic and the
other walks people through what to actual click.
On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Jim Morgan <jim at datalude.com> wrote:
> On 01/31/2014 09:18 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
>>

>> Also, I've noticed that Filipinos generally prefer face-to-face
>> interaction. I've seen countless times where you ask the audience if they
>> have any questions and nobody would raise their hands. But after the lecture
>> is over, a few people would approach the lecturer and then ask questions.
>> This kind of interaction would be hard to do online.
>
> Point taken about the reticence of audiences here. I've held a few meetings
> here myself where its really hard to get input ... which has been the whole
> purpose of the meeting! But I think the group chat might actually encourage
> this. People actually seem to get braver when they're not putting their hand
> up in a roomful of people. Basically as the presenter is demonstrating
> something, questions appear in the group chat, and the presenter can address
> them when its convenient. It actually seems to work quite well. There are
> also options to send private messages by email which can be addressed in the
> Q&A session.

How do you think doing remote training where an in person connection
has already been made? For example if participants had taken part in a
one or two day beginner class, but then could remotely receive
follow-up training? Perhaps having the initial face to face would
help.

Best,

-Kate