[talk-ph] Guagua mapping progress and tagging evacuation centers

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 4 14:28:36 UTC 2014

Mark

Effectively, we dont tag for the renderer and have to thinkabout the audiences (public and humanitarian organizations) and  which tool / layer to give rapid access to this information in crisis context. Wireless solutions could be interesting. Then, is it possible to integrate this in existing OSM products such as OSMAnd, OSMTracker, etc ?

Manning proposition about the various aspects provides significant information. I think that this is a good basis to start thinking about this.

About the humanitarian Style, I am not sure that this is the place. There are many POI's and trying to add an evacuation center over this would add confusion. Also, I dont think that this would be the best option to locate rapidly the evacuation centers.

If a Tsunami arize, we need this information to be available at this crucial moment. Thematic maps could be useful for both the public and the humanitarian organizations. But in case of emergencies, a wireless application that show you the way to the nearest evacuation center would be the best I think.

It would be interesting to discuss all of this on the HOT IRC or a specific one for Philippines.  We had such discussions for the Mali Activation in 2013. OCHA and the clusters participated to weekly discussions about various subjects like this. This is a good way to progress and motivate OSM contributors and humanitarian about working together.

Pierre