[talk-ph] Guagua mapping progress and tagging evacuation centers

Robert Banick rbanick at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 15:01:16 UTC 2014

HI all,

Just to reiterate Chad's points, finding a way to tag evacuation shelters
would be a huge step for humanitarian uses of GIS. The Red Cross would
definitely use that data and in fact already has plans to contribute such
data on the drawing board.

A few thoughts on the specific tagging schema:

1. Noting which type of disaster the center is meant for would be great.
2. Structural integrity is really based on analysis of other factors that
are already presently included in OSM, like height, construction materials,
etc. Perhaps we need to stick to those and let integrity be assessed
elsewhere?
3. # of evacuees would be huge
4. Length of time is hard to estimate, but perhaps stockpiles of equipment
could be marked? With a simple taxonomy like "high / medium / low / none".

Cheers,
Robert