[talk-ph] [HOT] Typhoon Yolanda/Haiyan Activation Wrap-up

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Tue May 6 11:11:35 UTC 2014

Thanks for this Maning and yes let's declare this Great activation over.  A tremendous effort was made remotely from people around the world.

From one activation to the other, we are developping new ways to collaborate with the humanitarian organizations and local communities. The coordination with international organizations such as UN-OCHA, Red Cross, GFDRR, HIU  was awesome. We also had a fantastic support from various imagery providers who let us cover such a large area for this emergency. And a great thanks to Jean-Guilhem Cailton, Fred Moine and OSM-fr who supported us for the imagery. Thanks also to the developpers who contributed to deliver these poster size OSM maps to the Tacloban airport 10 days after the Typhoon, and offer various services such as GPS and OSMAnd / Android downloads.  These various services offer a great support to the humanitarians while deploying on the ground in the context of such emergencies.

The Philippines is different from other activations with the local OSM communities contributing to complete the map with their local knowledge. Thanks to Maning and all the OSM-ph contributors for your contribution in such a difficult context. This is an essential part of the map and I am pleased to see that this has some recognition from the various governmental agencies.

Pierre