[talk-ph] Icons on POI's - Proposal

Mark Cupitt markcupitt at gmail.com
Fri May 23 01:32:33 UTC 2014

Folks, have been thinking about how we specify Icons for POI's in the
Philippines OSM Map. I have Icons for most of the PH specific businesses,
like Jollibee, Banks, and so on and would like to use them

At the moment, the only way to do this is to run through the database
checking the name tag and seeing if it starts with jollibee, BDO mcdo, etc.
This is a very intensive effort on a million+ points. I am doing the code
for it now and it has to be run on a very regular basis to pick up new
POI'S from the daily diff updates. It also suffers form spelling errors,
and fomat errors, for example "the jollibee" will to be identified as the
name has to start with "jollibee" (in text string searches in postgres do
not use indexes, and are too expensive on the database, so we have to
assume that the name starts with the search text.

I will publish the icons we have at some stage very soon where they can be
viewed by anyone.

To make it very easy to have granular control over icon display, I propose
that we do the following:

Add an icon:ph tag to nodes as they are created that contains the filename
of the icon to display (from the list published)

For example, a node of a Mcdonalds might have a tag amenity="fast_food"
name="Mcdonalds Quezon City" and a icon:ph="mcdonalds.png"

The system will first check if the icon:ph exists and use the icon
specified in that. if not, it will fall back to database determined value
done on a weekly or monthly basis, with all the inherent pitfalls in the
use of the name field. If that does not work, it will display a generic
icon which is a Red Dot.

One big advantage of this proposal is that people can submit their own
logos in icon form, they are easy to add to the system, them specify them
for specific businesses, leisure, bars, etc. on the actual poi ..so the
value added to the map will be tremendous in the future.

Thoughts, flames, thumbs up, thumbs down, rounds of applause on this
proposal very much appreciated ..

Regards

Mark Cupitt

"If we change the world, let it bear the mark of our intelligence"

See me on Open StreetMap <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mark_Cupitt>

See me on LinkedIn <http://ph.linkedin.com/in/markcupitt>

*See me on StackExchange <http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/17846/mark-c>*

The contents of this email are intended only for the individual(s) to whom
it is addressed and may contain
recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute,
or use the contents of this email. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete the email and any attachments.