[talk-ph] Tagging on OSMPH

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 05:56:52 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Mark Cupitt <markcupitt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also have a question about places:ph, there are a LOT in the database, I
> guess they are implemented with other tags, is there a definitive list of
> what the other tags are?
>
> Seem like Barangays mostly, but possibly some other places?

Taginfo to the rescue!
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/place%3Aph#values

Based on Taginfo, 95% of the values of the place:ph=* tag is "barangay"
with a total of number of 1,300. This is actually quite low. There are
almost 42,000 barangays in the Philippines.

The other values are purok and sitio (which are unofficial subunits of a
barangay) and a few other values that I think are wrong uses of the tag.