[talk-ph] Tagging bridges and tunnels

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 17:35:36 UTC 2015

Hi Ervin,

Option 1 is what I do.

Take note that if we have a way with highway=something and bridge=yes, then
the object is primarily a highway/road and the bridge is only an aspect or
property of the highway/road segment. Therefore, the name=* tag should be
the name of the highway/road. And then put the name of the bridge on the
bridge:name=* tag.

Besides, it will be very weird to have a long highway with unconnected
names just because there are bridges along the highway.

The only time I would put the name of the bridge on the name=* tag is if
the roads from both ends of the bridge have different names. For example,
the bridge formerly called Del Pan in Manila:
www.openstreetmap.org/way/4304674

~Eugene