[talk-ph] Remote mapping for health facility research

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 10:39:44 UTC 2015

Dear everyone,

We are happy to announce that this mapping work is done (not complete
in the OSM sense) ;)

= Some rough stats =
Number of Map Changes: 255,551
Total number of Changesets: 2,903
Number of created (modified) Nodes: 230,103 (3,814)
Number of created (modified) Ways: 11,545 (5,201)
Total length of roads: 103K km (16% increase)
Total length of waterways: 43K km (13% increase)

Details of project coordination in hackpad [0]

= Tasking Manager =
To coordinate this work, we installed a Tasking Manager [1].
Since there is leftover budget, the group decided to continue running
this server which can be a good resource for the OSM-PH mappers in
general.
You can use this to coordinate any of your mapping activity.  If you
want access to create your own tasking/jobs, let us know so we can
give you access.
Again, this will be maintained as soon as we consume the budget (by my
estimate, it can last for ~6 months depending on the AWS usage
charges)
or if someone donates. ;)

= River mapping =
For the river mapping, we created a custom tile/overlay of stream
accumulation (using SRTM's 90m dem).  This served as a guide to
identify the
approximate location of rivers.  We found it very useful to prioritize
areas to trace rivers. To see this in action, check out task#7 of the
TM [2]
If people thinks it is useful for mapping rivers in other areas, we
can extend this tile/overlay to cover the whole country.

We are very excited that Steeve and WHO will use this data for their
health care facility access research and we hope the output of this
research can improve
accessibility of maternal care in the country.

[0] https://hackpad.com/MCP-Remote-Mapping-XTi6pwcKR8U
[1] http://52.74.49.58:6543
[2] http://52.74.49.58:6543/project/7