[talk-ph] NHN 2 Luzon

Rally de Leon ralleon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 12:33:14 UTC 2015

Related issues in connection with DPWH's database (new Classification &
Route numbers):

Road Classification:DPWH's internal road class (primary & secondary) will
generally be our reference guide, but will not work with OSM as there is no
direct relation.
(eg. their 'primary' seems to correspond to OSM's 'trunk' but not always;
Secondary is more often than not - equivalent to OSM's Primary, but may
become Secondary etc.).

And besides, DPWH doesn't seem to follow the best practices in map making.
Their "classification" is the result to motorists volume per day, as well
as with considerations to connecting towns with big population, and or
connection to major ports

Our OSMPH mapper's classification seem to follow the "function" of the road
and it's relation to economic activity and flow of commerce 'relative' to
the region -- no absolute rule. (just my observation) And it follows a
smoother path, not stopping abruptly out of nowhere.

There are lots of exceptions/observations I discovered in classifying roads
(to the rules and biases we are accustomed to), in fact I need to undo a
lot of my own stupid edits, eg. making Marikina-Infanta Road as trunk (by
previous consensus that all main roads crossing 'provincial boundaries' are
trunk roads, which I will revert to Primary (something like that).

We have to weigh-in between OSMPH's best practices and the logic behind
DPWH's system. This is for discussion later, so we can agree on a new
guideline based on our new discoveries/observations (on-going)

As to NAMING ROADS:
I agree with maning earlier, that we use name on OSM as we see them in
physical object, eg. Street Signs -

name=<common name> and NOT the "official name" commonly dictated by the law
or ordinance. we have official_name= which can be used for that purpose.

The longer the road name - the smaller the printed font gets,
-the lesser visible they becomes (on highway);
-the more clutter on digital devices and paper maps.

But we stick to the OSM's use of complete suffix (eg. Street) even though I
disagree :-)

This suggested unofficial guideline for our local mappers is in lieu of
non-existent PH law prescribing maximum length of Road names - which should
be on the practical side,

Anyways, like it or not ...is already unofficially practiced by LGU's and
some govt agencies
eg.
- look at Manila's bigger street signs, adopting: "Osmeña Hwy, Quirino Hwy"
instead of the long "President Osmeña Highway" "Pres. Quirino Highway as
seen on the older street sign).

- The many variants of Buendia Ave (still in use in newer signs), Sen. Gil
Puyat Ave, G. Puyat Ave, Gil Puyat Ave. but they will eventually go for the
shorter version.

- how many signboards have we seen written with the official name "Epifanio
Delos Santos Avenue" instead of EDSA (which is in most if not all of the
streetsigns)?

- same with SLEX, NLEX, SCTEX,... and yes, even in the new list of DPWH
official names says it's SLEX, NLEX, SCTEX etc.

On the good side, since ref=SLEX ref=NLEX will disappear soon, they will be
replaced with an easy to read and highly visible road names on the road
itself
eg. name=SLEX

Other Issues: Sorting Order (in dropdown menus, or simple search in tiny
keyboards, or paper index) can also be a problem with many unofficial
variants of spelling. Then why prolong the agony and save some tax payers
money by not contributing to the confusion on conflicting signboard
entries? LGU just google the name, or look at OSM for naming guidance. ;-)

We better make it right and consistent with the "actual". Maybe just maybe,
a congressman will notice the pattern in naming conventions in our maps,
then do something about it.

This topic will be for discussion later (on another thread), but don't be
surprised if some (including me) have initiated changes in road names. I
already did EDSA :-)

Cheers,
Rally

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Rally de Leon <ralleon at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> double value ref, eg. the ones you introduced in MacArthur, as well as the
>> one I am currently experimenting on EDSA (eg. ref=1,AH26). I saw the
>> rendering will be a bit ugly (but tolerable). But using double value on
>> ref, will not help people (using "simple search" for a particular ref value
>> if unknowingly, some of the ref (which is officially used) has some
>> extraneous values). Good thing we introducing Route Relations, so there
>> will be less headache for those who are into data extractions - should
>> future users or newbie customize the ref's.
>>
>> Connected to this, there an ongoing trend in the transport planning that
>> will make Circumferential & Radial Road system irrelevant in the future,
>> (even on Official Gazette)
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM_Z4CGgZSM&feature=youtu.be  C-5, C-4,
>> R8, R6 etc will probably just become "road names" (not a road system). They
>> will also disappear from OSM in favor of new DPWH's system.
>>
>> If we are still not seeing the big picture in adopting a consistent route
>> number format (at least for non-programmer mortal like me),
>> -future researchers, auditor, journalist, contractors, etc. can look up
>> Section_ID of a particular DPWH road project.
>> -said Route relations (portions) can be recycled for other purposes, eg.
>> administrative boundaries, bus routes, navigation apps, other custom
>> routes, will be very easy coz we don't have to trace same routes again etc.
>> (like somebody in Davao is mapping transport routes on top of existing
>> roads (by literally drawing another way on top), which is a pain to look at)
>> -Digital Sat Nav devices' auto-route are now referring to Route Numbers
>> instead of the non-consistent highway names (makes travelling simple) eg.
>> follow highway shield (road markers with route numbers along the highway)
>> instead of looking at the varying road names.
>>
>> Will discuss more later (sorry for my usual me, this email is getting
>> very long)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rally :-)
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Ronny Ager-Wick <ronny at ager-wick.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed Rally's recent update including MacArthur highway in NHN 2
>>> Luzon:
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4659407#map=8/15.824/120.361
>>> I assume this was due to some updated guidelines from DPWH or something.
>>>
>>> I noticed this because I had just meticulously updated the name of every
>>> segment of MacArthur Highway from San Fernando/Angeles Border to
>>> Angeles/Mabalacat border, and every single name I had fixed, as well as
>>> all
>>> the previous ones, had now disappeared. I updated the name manually
>>> working
>>> myself south until I realized something must be up (yes, I know, it
>>> takes a
>>> bit of time sometimes), and then I noticed the new relation, and I
>>> that (probably) on every segment of this relation, the name had