[talk-ph] Mapping Party in Iloilo May 23, 2015

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Sun May 31 13:41:28 UTC 2015

Hi,

As mentioned in this thread, the mapping party was last Saturday in
Iloilo co-organized by The Asia Foundation and several bike groups
(IPAD Xtr, ICYC, iFOLD, Augustinian Cyclists) in the city.
Originally, we designed to have an editing session using iD.
But since most of them did not bring laptops, mostly on bikes (of
course), we focused mapping using SmartPhones installed with OSMAnd.

Thanks to Erwin for updating the adding a new section on the new
version of OSMAnd in learnosm which I had to review early morning
before the event. ;)  The good thing with OSMAnd is that you have a
lot of options for mapping, the bad thing with OSmAnd is that you have
a lot of options for mapping. ;).

Anyway, we focused on using OSM plugin to map bike related POIs.
There were some crashes on one device and we were not successful
getting the plugin to work on iPhones/iOS.  All in all, I think OSMAnd
is perfect for groups like this.  Even if they don't use any of the
editor, they can continue contributing by just uploading POIs.  There
were some issues along the way lsuch as some POIs in the middle of the
sea and other with only name tags.  We are fixing it now.

My presentation notes/videos, mapper contributions and photos here:
http://maning.github.io/taf_iloilo/