[talk-ph] 7500 and counting.

Jim Morgan jim at datalude.com
Sat Feb 20 02:02:36 UTC 2016

On Saturday, 20 February, 2016 09:32 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
> According to the latest news, there are now "exactly" 7,641 islands.
> This is stated by the so-called Philippine Islands Measurements
> Project of NAMRIA.
> I have previously e-mailed NAMRIA to get info on how they keep track
> of islands and how the most often quoted figure of 7,107 islands was
> derived. Predictably I didn't get any definitive answer.
I remember hearing that the number of islands varies depending on
whether its high tide or low tide, so any figure which claims to be
exact should be treated with suspicion. Unless they've come up with a
definition of island which copes with this -- maybe it has to be visible
for 12 hours in a 24 hour period! :-) Also when does a rock become an
island?

Then there's the matter of islands whose ownership is in dispute, and
the ones which are being blatantly stolen by our neighbours. But lets
not get into that here ... :-)

Jim