[talk-ph] Problematical OpenStreetMap edits around "null island"

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 14:24:22 UTC 2016

Hello,

I wonder if anyone here can help.  I'm trying to track down the cause of
a problem where rogue data is getting added around latitude 0, longitude
0 in the middle of the Atlandic.

The latest example changeset that does this has a changeset comment of
"#Project NOAH-ISAIAH added buildings".  It's that user's first
changeset, and adds some buildings both in the northern Philippines and
at "null island". A web search for that changeset comment finds
http://blog.noah.dost.gov.ph/2016/03/18/project-noah-announces-start-of-isaiah/
and the contact info there is talk-ph at openstreetmap.org , so I'm sending
this email to this list.

Clearly something has gone wrong somewhere - either the lat/long values
for the nodes of https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/452601924/history
were confused by JOSM at upload, or confused by something external to
JOSM and JOSM was just used as an interface to the OSM API without
checking the uploaded data.  Obviously this isn't the fault of the user
who uploaded it (it's their first changeset!) but it would be great if
whatever training they receive could be changed so that things like this
don't happen in the future.

In order to do that, can anyone think what might be the best way to
contact whoever would have run the OSM session in which this user
uploaded that changeset? If we can work out want went wrong we can fix
it for next time, whether it's a JOSM bug or something procedurally that
needs changing.

Best Regards

Andy Townsend ("SomeoneElse" in OSM)