[talk-ph] Grab in conflict with Thailand OSM community

Erwin Olario govvin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 09:14:16 UTC 2018

And speaking of imagery alignment, please check the imagery offsets
database, if you're working with any imagery (even Bing), our (Kaart) work
in PH updates the IODB, whenever possible, and recording offsets with
Strava heatmaps (or some other source.)

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 3:32 PM Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 3:25 PM Glen Scott <paverne at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it a concern that they keep referring to Bing imagery "We will also
>> use Bing imagery to ensure there are no missing roads". In the parts
>> I've looked at, some roads on Bing just don't exist any more! Bing is good
>> for coastline where there has been no human development, but not good for
>> anything else. Using Bing imagery to check for roads will create the
>> classic GPS nav problem - OLD DATA = WRONG WAY!
>>

> It is definitely a concern to use any old and outdated imagery, not just
> Bing. But based on experience, Bing usually has the best alignment out of
> all the available satellite imagery so it makes sense to refer to Bing (at
> first). But any good remote mapper worth their salt should check other
> imagery as well to (hopefully) avoid mapping outdated roads and features.

/Erwin Olario

e: erwin at ngnuity.xyz | v/m: https://t.me/GOwin | s: https://mstdn.io/@GOwin