[Talk-scotland] Edinburgh - Belgrave Terrace/Clermiston Terrace

Gregory (LivingWithDragons) info at livingwithdragons.com
Tue Oct 6 14:43:26 UTC 2015

On 6 October 2015 at 14:52, Eric Grosso <eric.grosso.os at gmail.com> wrote:

> - both "Belgrave Terrace" and "Clermiston Terrace" are on the east side of
> the street so rather than using alt_name (which is normally used to add an
> alternative name which is used on both side of a street), I'd use name:left
> or name:right (depending on the orientation of the road) -- more
> information about it here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Forward_%26_backward,_left_%26_right
> and here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name -- So basically the
> road needs to be split according to these terraces, (remark: in the past,
> it wasn't clear what was the best way to tag a road like this, i.e. no
> decision was made between the use of "name_left" and "name:left", now it's
> clear that it has to be "name:left". Nominatim will work with it as well
> even,

Ah, I wasn't aware of name:left, name:right being used.

While waiting for a good solution, a lot of people (myself included) mapped
sections of pavement/sidewalk alongside the road. Such as this example of
Anchorage Terrace in Durham.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/23400852#map=19/54.77049/-1.57222

That has the benefit of visually showing the name, but visuals should not
be a mapper's main drive. You'll notice the Anchorage Terrace path is also
a member of the Anchorage Terrace relation. Associated Street relations are
great, you can look at them and find all the houses that are part of the
street, even if they are round the corner. In reverse, if you search for "4
Anchorage Terrace" then Nominatim finds it.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:associatedStreet

On the subject of whether this is a good place to ask such questions... I
say yes, regional/country mailing lists are low-frequency so can be more
friendly. You also get a more relevant response as people are likely to
understand the local situation/example.
If anybody doesn't like mailing lists, there are many mediums available for
asking about specific situations: http://www.openstreetmap.org/help

Good to meet you Colin, great to see you on the mailing list too!

Gregory.