[Talk-scotland] (no subject)

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 6 15:11:27 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-06 13:12, Eric Grosso wrote:
> These boundaries have been created in the context of the last elections
> and represent the Scottish Parliament Constituencies for Edinburgh.
> You can see them on the OS website as well:
> http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/election-maps/gb/
> The different boundaries aren't topological (i.e. they don't share the
> same common boundaries).
>
> I fully agree with what Donald wrote about it. As he suggested to
> improve tagging, do you think something like "Edinburgh Southern
> Parliamentary Constituency" rather than "SOUTH" would be more
> appropriate? If yes I can improve them (as I have to improve one of them
> which has been accidentally orthogonalised).

Constituency boundaries should be tagged as boundary=political. See this
page: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dpolitical

Plus there is a tag for political_division=parl_const
Though that seems ambiguous, as it doesn't specify if its the Scottish
or UK parliament. And what about Scottish parliament electoral regions?

The name tag should be the full official name of the constituency, ie
"Edinburgh South".

Also would probably be better to map them as boundary relations, instead
of just ways. As that means they can share ways where they overlap.

Craig