[Talk-scotland] Mapping of individual trees versus wooded areas

Donald Noble drnoble at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 11:51:32 UTC 2016

I noticed on the map recently that there are further areas of woodland that
have been deleted and replaced with a lot of individual trees. [1] There
was a previous discussion regarding this subject at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/note/733730

I still hold by my view that mapping individual trees/groups of trees in
gardens looks great (and thanks to the MESH team for their hard work on
this) but larger areas of mixed woodland shouldn't be represented in this
way. Many of these areas will have a complex understory of shrubs and new
growth. It can also be difficult to pick out/separate individual tree
crowns from aerial imagery which might be several years out of date.

There is no way to aggregate areas of individually mapped trees and show
them over a bigger area. Woodland is mapped at zoom level 8, whereas trees
don't appear on z15, only at z16 and above.

I don't want to get into an edit war over this, but I thought some sort of
consensus had been reached after the last discussion. My view is only that,
and if other people feel the opposite please say.

regards, Donald

[1] The areas I noticed were around Corsorphine, along the railway path,
but I can't find a changeset where the woodland was deleted