[Talk-scotland] Mapping pavements in Edinburgh

Eric Grosso eric.grosso.os at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:23:01 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I noticed that some pavements have been mapped recently in Princes street
(both sides) and Leith street (Edinburgh), mainly by Donald -- I opened the
discussion here as we didn't talk about it at the meet-up last Tuesday.

If we start mapping these pavements, what are we going to do with the
others? Map all of them, i.e. duplicate every road, possibly on both sides
with footways?

As it's already possible to map them as tags of the "highways" using
"sidewalk=both/left/no/right", would it not be better to just add the
crossing and the connections where needed in order to represent them and to
enable a better computation for routing algorithms? A good example is what
has been mapped in George street.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
Eric