[Talk-scotland] Mapping pavements in Edinburgh

me at chrisfleming.org me at chrisfleming.org
Tue Jan 24 11:06:16 UTC 2017

On 20/01/17 at 05:23pm, Eric Grosso wrote:
>    Hi all,
>
>    I noticed that some pavements have been mapped recently in Princes street
>    (both sides) and Leith street (Edinburgh), mainly by Donald -- I opened
>    the discussion here as we didn't talk about it at the meet-up last
>    Tuesday.

Donald and I did have a brief chat about this, I think his logic was the
road is marked and rendered as restricted access, and the pavement on
Princes Street is much wider than most in Edinburgh therefore mapping it
does make sense.

>    If we start mapping these pavements, what are we going to do with the
>    others? Map all of them, i.e. duplicate every road, possibly on both sides
>    with footways?

I certainly agree with you here. We don't want to get into the habit of
mapping all the pavements. But I think the case for Princes Street is
sound, and I don't think it's appearance is a driver to roll this out
across more of the city center.

>    As it's already possible to map them as tags of the "highways" using
>    "sidewalk=both/left/no/right", would it not be better to just add the
>    crossing and the connections where needed in order to represent them and
>    to enable a better computation for routing algorithms? A good example is
>    what has been mapped in George street.

Agree, this works well for George Street, and should be the normal.

Cheers
Chris