[Talk-scotland] Edinburgh 20mph Limits

Robert Weetman robert.wtman.88 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 22:25:44 UTC 2017

My thoughts would be...

a) you could argue that you are only taking the speed limit information
from the mapping, which probably wouldn't be seen as copyright (coming
from the council not the Ordnance Survey). I doubt that anyone in the
council has considered making this open data... busy people etc.

b) BUT I suspect that there may be variation on the ground in terms of
where speed limits actually change - that there may be some considerable
variation between what was planned at a high level (and is therefore
shown on the mapping) and exactly what will have been installed.

With b in mind I'd tend to want to do a survey based on the mapping...
but I must admit to being more daunted than for Edinburgh's city centre
20mph zone. Could someone draw a polygon (saved in appropriate format -
e.g. kml) to define where the edges of the zones should be? That would
make it a more realistic prospect to survey. The city centre survey
became complex where there were existing 20mph zones - one zone merging
into another. I'd guess the potential for the same this time is greater.

Robert

---