[Talk-scotland] Help please: tidying up abandoned golf course features at Swanston, Edinburgh

Robert Weetman robert.wtman.88 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 17:15:40 UTC 2020

Hi All - looking for some local knowledge to help to tidy up some poor
mapping near Swanston, Edinburgh. A new/remote mapper (easily identified
in the edits, I'll not name here) enthusiastically recorded a whole load
of golf course related features - mostly based on old aerial imagery
(but backed up by more than that - they recorded things like the par for
each hole). Many (all?) of these features are long gone. The ones I
spotted were at 'T Wood' - above Swanston. I removed the features I know
not to exist, but there is a live golf course to the north - and I don't
want to accidentally remove correct features.

There is also at least one multi-relation in the mix - which is going to
take some disentangling. I ran out of both patience and skill - someone
cleverer than me might need to have a look.

(Actually, I didn't remove the incorrect features, I changed 'golf=...'
to 'abandoned at golf=....' so anyone tempted to add them again will notice).

You may also notice a few oddities - use of combinations like
"natural=tree + name=gorse" - presumably to make some particular map
show "gorse" in text.

I tried to contact the mapper without success a few weeks ago.

See also:

     https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/2467314

An overpass turbo search showing what remains:

     https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/11lz

Robert